• Welcome to Linuxtracker Forums.

[New Torrent] MakuluLinux_Xfce_7.1.iso

Started by Zlaxhe, February 01, 2015, 05:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zlaxhe

Xfce

MakuluLinux Xfce 7.1 is the continuation of the 7 Series release, changes are based on all the feedback gathered from the survey and emails users submitted. These include bug fixes, core updates, changes to the interface, software and custom scripts. 7.1 really polishes the series while maintaining all the greatness that made the 7 series so popular.

List of changes :

Core Updates
The latest system core updates have been applied, making sure that Xfce is currently running on the latest version with Kernel updated to 3.13.0-44.73 PAE

Bug fixes
Bug fixes that were sent in via emails and reported on forums have been applied throughout the distro .
Theme Changes
It weas reported that users had difficulty seeying the border buttons, this had been fixed.

New Software
Added user and groups Gui tool to settings panel, users can now easily manage accounts, passwords and permissions.
Added USB creator tool to assist users to easily create a bootable USB, just go to system->start disk creator.

Wallpaper changes
New Wallpapers have been added to this edition.

Update Manager
Update manager should not longer be slow in updating, users will notice much improvement on update speed.

Make sure to read the original 7.0 release notes below if you have not done so, You can grab your copy of 7.1 at the links at the bottom of this page.

Original 7.0 release notes :

MakuluLinux Xfce 7.0

Here is it Ladies and Gentleman, this is what you have been waiting for, The Fastest and most Beautiful Xfce on the whole planet. Thought only true love could make you weak in the knees ? wait till you fire up this baby. There is a reason this edition is codenamed "The Concorde" or "The bullet" as I have come to know it. I have drawn on all my experience and instinct as a Linux developer and pushed the limits and boundaries on this edition, my main goal "To provide Raw speed and Pure Beauty". This build has even surpassed my own expectations when I started working on it.

I received many requests to make an Ubuntu based Xfce over the last year, many of those email i did not even bother to reply to, to those guys, I give you a heartfelt apology, at the time i knew if i replied it would probably just have been me telling you to go #@#$$!@## yourself. After all, there are way to many Ubuntu based distro's around and i did not want to be another on that huge list, not to mention Ubuntu has not been a favorite in the spotlight this last year. However, it got to a point where I could no longer ignore the emails, after all, what the user wants the user should get, even if it goes against my own personal wishes. And I suppose i was also getting a little bored with Debian and wanted to stretch my legs a little, show the world that I am flexible and can build on Ubuntu as good as on Debian, thus this edition was born ... So let's get into the release notes and look whats inside the box ...

MakuluLinux Xfce 7.0 was built from the ground up.
    Based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS PAE 3.13.xx I686 Kernel, 5 year support life.
    A blend of Xfce 4.10 and 4.11 packages.

Pure Speed :
This Edition will make you foam at the mouth with raw speed. Initial tests showed install time of under 5 minutes, 7 minutes fully rebooted into newly installed system. One tester installed it in just 3 minutes in a Vmware system... This is no bare-bone system, this edition like our previous editions offers a variety of software and tools included, in total install size is 7.3GB on a new system. This is a complete "use out of the box" Edition and a 5 minute install time is a huge margin of improvement over previous releases that installed between 40 and 60 minutes.

Smaller :
Unlike the previous version of Xfce which sported a ISO size of 1.71 GB, the new Xfce 7.0 with almost all of the same software included now sports a mere 1.39 GB ISO. A lot of work has gone into making every byte count, now only a fraction of the original size, yet much more powerful, this is another department where the new Xfce Shines.

Beauty :
Sporting a beautiful theme that was initially built for our cinnamon release, This edition improves on that beautiful sleek look. I have included a variety of Themes in this build as well as in the repository, with mouse cursors to match and a selection of beautiful wallpapers. Users can easily change the look and feel with a few clicks around the desktop. Now add the latest version of Compiz and Emerald into this mix and now we are blending a serious concoction of beautiful all in one edition, The magic is to use these tools and make a masterpiece. Indeed the new Xfce does not disappoint in this department, now sporting more transparency than ever before, it almost feels like every window you open is lying on top of this magical see through layer of awesomeness...

Simplicity :
Giving the user shortcuts at his finger tips every step of the way, from quick access icons on the bottom panel to most frequently used in favorites, users can now surf their way around this edition with ease. Much improvement has been made on the settings center which now offers much more than just the bare-bone applications. the new dual menu system will allow users to quick maneuver around the system with swift speed. Every inch of The operating system is laid out to assist the user with his day to day usage, even custom actions offer a variety of context menu entries to make life easier on the end user.

Best of both worlds :
Out of the box MakuluLinux Xfce 7.0 offers the user of even old hardware a speedy experience with some descent transparency and a beautiful desktop, there is no need to have the latest or newest hardware to run this edition, fire up that old computer tower of yours that has been gathering dust and run this beauty, it may yet still squeeze some life out of that ancient hardware... On the flip side, users with more modern hardware turn on Compiz and instantly transform this Xfce into a whole world of mystical, magical beauty, see your system come to life with all the animation while still maintaining all of the raw speed.

Compiz :
Much work has been done to improve Compiz on this release, unlike the previous version of Xfce which made use of an ancient Compiz 0.8.4, Xfce 7.0 sports Compiz 1.9.2. This particular version of Compiz does not play well on Ubuntu versions, Much work has been done to make it slip and slide fluently on this edition, even inside Virtual-box. Compiz is now also fully integrated into Xfce, When the user turns Compiz on it does not just enable the special effects, it now also removes the default window manager and all icon entries to that manager, even from the settings panel and instead replaces it with the Compiz settings manager and the emerald settings manager. When Compiz is turned off, all the Compiz entries are removed and the default windows manager entries are restored on both the menu launchers and settings panel. Now there can be no more confusion of where to edit settings of the window manager. Compiz is now fully integrated into the system. Users will also find a variety of nice effects enabled by default, from Wobbly windows, Desktop Cube, Reflections, window previews and so forth. Users can also turn on additional animations easily via the Compiz settings manager.

Emerald :
Xfce 7.0 offers a variety of beautiful border themes for the user to play with, and emerald Theme manager allows the user to create his own border themes. The default Awesome border theme included in this edition was created with current install Emerald Theme manager, which is proof of what can be done with a descent imagination ...

Steam :
Steam and PlayonLinux are both included on this Edition, users can simply fire up steam and start playing their favorite games or use PlayonLinux and setup their favorite titles with ease. a Few extra games have been included as well.

Office :
MakuluLinux Xfce 7.0 includes the Full WPS office suite ( formerly known as Kingsoft office ), start working on your documents straight out of the box, it is also fully compatible with Microsoft office file types. Included as well is the well known Foxit PDF reader. Using Linux in the office environment has never been easier ...

Wine :
Wine is included in MakuluLinux Xfce 7.0, Running all your windows software is as simple as it is in the windows environment. simply double click an Exe or Msi file and watch it come to life, run your favorite Windows software or games the same way you would in a Windows environment.

Variety Wallpaper changer :
Variety offers not just a simple wallpaper changer, but also adds a beautiful clock and daily quotes on your desktop, adding to the natural beauty of of the system. Variety offers complete control over your desktop wallpapers, you can use the included wallpapers as is or even set it to download new ones at scheduled times. You can even set special effects on selected wallpapers, or even random effects on random wallpapers, the power is literally in your hands. But please be warned, while variety is active, your normal desktop wallpaper manager will not be effective in selecting wallpapers, if you want to manage wallpapers the old fashioned way you will have to disable variety.

Dual Menus :
Upon request from a user I checked out the alternative whisker menu with categories on the left instead of on the right, It actually feels much easier navigating. For that reason I have opted to make use of the alternative Whisker Menu in this release. Now user can simply open the menu and move the mouse up and down to select categories instead of having to open the menu, scroll across to the right, then move up and down.

Due to issues with Slingscold and Ubuntu based systems, I have removed Slingscold from this build and instead made use of synapse. Which is a beautiful and simple, yet powerful quick launcher. I am sure users will love this launcher, it took me all but 5 minutes to feel right at home with it, sometimes I don't want to click 4 times to open a application, with synapse its 1 click and its done.

Thus Makulu still offers dual menu's. Whisker on the left for guys that want to browse the menu, Synapse on the right for a instant quick-launch or quick file/folder search, the combination works great.

Firefox :
It was a hard choice to choose between Firefox and Chrome, both are capable browsers pretty much on par with each other, the decider for me was space. I needed to keep this ISO small and firefox install around 100mb less than chrome does. The add-ons and customizations i normally do on chrome are all available for firefox, so i had no trouble doing my usual configurations ... Firefox is configured with speed dial to easily bookmark and access favorites,
some useful plug-ins are pre-configured, namely : adblock, youtube downloader, facebook notifications, Gmail notifications and Twitter notifications ...

Settings panel :
The settings panel has had some work done on it, You will notice there is a LOT more options in the settings panel compared to the default settings panel of Xfce, I have tried to make it a nice little hub where a user can access all his tools instead of having to find some stuff in settings panel, while others in the menu as he normally would on standard Xfce.

Docky :
Docky is included in this edition, although not enabled by default. To enable simply run it from the favorites menu and select yes to add it to startup or no to remove it from startup. Docky is pre configured with favorite apps and is by default located in the top panel. Feel free to move/customize it any way you wish.

PPA's :
I have included MANY ppa's in this Edition, this allows users to install a MUCH greater variety of application compared to a standard Xfce installation, out of the box you have thousands of apps at your finger tips. the MakuluLinux repository is included as well, and over time this repo will most likely offer a nice variety of software that is not easily found elsewhere, for starters it already hosts kingsoft/wps office.

Lifetime :
MakuluLinux Xfce 7.0 has a 5 year lifetime, therefore support for this build will end in 04/2019. Giving the user plenty usage time on this release, the world changes a lot over 5 years and by the time you upgrade your Computer, you can simply grab the next installment of MakuluLinux Xfce which will play nicely on your new hardware.

Known Issues :
There has been reports of Cairo Dock causing problems with this edition, seems compatibility issues with Xfce 4.11 packages. it is advised to rather use docky instead, which is included in this edition, but if you must, Please proceed with caution if planning to use Cairo-Dock.

Compiz does some weird stuff when you enable both vertical desktops and horizontal desktops all at once and then turn the cube. but since most people enable only horizontal desktops, it should not effect them. Even tho this is minor, just a friendly warning about it.

There you have it, SLAM DUNK, the Most Awesome, Fastest, Most Beautiful Xfce Ever built by a Clear Mile, the first of many such editions I am sure, I have set a high bar for other developers to follow, myself included. In 2015 this is the XFCE edition which all others will be measured against.

Now i have done my part, I spent the last few months barely sleeping, spending every possible free minute making this edition, I went weeks without shaving and its been months since I got laid... Now it is your turn, I really have big plans for MakuluLinux, and it all starts with me getting out of this A-hole country I am stuck in, everywhere I look I hit brick walls, It really is not easy maintaining a project like this in a third world country on a 512kb connection, If i am to take this project to the next level it will require me to get out of here. I have saved every possible cent this year to leave, and it has been tough between keeping the project alive, surviving myself and saving in a country where saving is virtually impossible with a currency 12 times weaker than the US dollar, 15 times weaker than the Euro and almost 20 times weaker than the pound. I am very close but I lack the funding to take that next step. It is December and we are headed into another new year, If you are happy with this build and want to continue to see this standard of work and want to be part of my vision and the journey this project is about to embark on, then please take a minute and donate to the project, its as easy as clicking the button below. I want to try and hit the target Donations this month so I can get the hell out of here and get the ball rolling on some new stuff Ive had on my mind for the last 2 years but were unable to do so, After everything i have saved so far, I am roughly around $1000 still short, that is to make sure the website, servers, file hosts are paid up for at least 3 months and the remainder what i need for the big move. I have the skill, the imagination the determination and the discipline, It is time to rough things up, but everything in this world requires cash, any donation no matter how small helps, this is a community project after all, and I guess I am asking the community to get involved... In return I will keep MakuluLinux the best of its kind in existence, as I type this I am already busy with the next 3 installments, which will be just as good, if not better than this release :)

I hope you enjoy this Edition, And i want to thank the testers for assisting. This is surely to be one release that marks a turning point for this project.